Thursday, January 6, 2011

Inspirations

I know I talk a lot about being inspired by all things vintage. I adore silent movies. I adore the glamor of the 30's, 40's and 50's. I adore the earthy style of the 60's and 70's, but I never talk about what inspires me from today!The inspiration I gather from watching old movies and reading old magazines is mostly visual. I love the style and simplicity of it. 
  The inspiration I draw from 'modern times' is emotions! Being a good photographer isn't just about pretty lighting or fancy camera action(don't get me wrong! They are important.) it's about capturing who you're subject is as a person. Not just capturing a pretty smile. I've had negative comments from people criticizing the fact that I take 'angry' pictures of my clients every once in a while. I've always bucked against that negativity with out ever figuring out why. Well, I have now. Isn't anger, frustration and sadness just as much a part of who we are as human being as joy, elation and laughter? My mission as a photographer is to capture people not just faces. I don't want my clients kids 50 years from now to look at the pictures I take and just say,"My mom was really pretty." I want them to think,"Wow! My mom really loved me!" That's why I find simple, everyday, 'boring life' so inspirational.It's these emotions I get to both feel and witness as a photographer that leaves me feeling privileged when I meet and spend time with my clients. It's my job to draw out the emotions and I love it! I hope I am always striving to get better at it.
 So thank you to clients past, present, and future for letting me capture your emotions and for sharing a part of your lives with me. I am eternally grateful and so unworthy! I thank God each day for every one of you!

 With all the love in my heart,
  Kristin Guynn

{Over the Moon Photography}

No comments:

Post a Comment